Collections Internship at The Hershey Story
The Hershey Story: The Museum on Chocolate Avenue located in Hershey, Pennsylvania seeks a qualified intern candidate to work with the collection staff on several ongoing projects.
The intern will experience a wide range of collections responsibilities including object handling and packing, object numbering systems and documentation, preventative conservation techniques, loan policy and procedures and maintaining collections management software. A successful candidate will work 20 hours per week for 10-15 weeks. Internship hours must be completed during normal operating hours (M-F 8:30-5:00).
Intern will be responsible for re-cataloging The Hershey Story’s collection related to the Great Plains or Southwest American Indian ethnographic groups. Intern will write detailed object descriptions, record proper measurements and photograph each item. The intern will also be responsible for properly and efficiently housing the collection using acid-free storage materials and recording location information into a central database.
Examples of other duties:
· Assist staff with exhibit maintenance.
· Assist staff with processing new acquisitions and loans.
· Master’s degree candidate in Museum Studies, American Studies, History, Anthropology or similarly related field. Exceptional college Junior or Senior candidates will also be considered.
· Basic knowledge of standard museum curatorial practice
· Interest to pursue a career in the museum field
· Excellent written and oral communication skills and legible handwriting
· Detail oriented and ability to work independently
· Ability to lift 25lbs and climb ladders
· Excellent computer skills, including Microsoft Word and Excel; experience with database software. Experience with PastPerfect Museum Software is a plus.
· Valid driver’s license and transportation
· Multitasking and ability to prioritize project needs
Please send cover letter, resume and three references to Valerie Seiber, Collections Manager, The Hershey Story, 63 W. Chocolate Avenue, Hershey, PA 17033; or email to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Summer Internship” in the subject line. Internships are for the summer 2012 semester and must be completed between May and September, 2012. Internships are unpaid but may be completed for college credit. Applications must be received by March 16, 2012.