The Hershey Story, The Museum on Chocolate Avenue located in Hershey, Pennsylvania seeks a qualified intern candidate to work with the collection staff on several
The intern will experience a wide range of collections responsibilities including object handling and packing, object numbering systems and documentation, preventative conservation techniques, loan policy and procedures and maintaining collections management software. A successful candidate will work approximately 20 hours per week for 10-15 weeks. Internship hours must be completed during normal operating hours (M-F 8:30-5:00).
Intern will be responsible for processing photographs related to The Hershey Story’s Pennsylvania German collection. Intern will write detailed descriptions, record key information and scan each photograph. The intern will also be responsible for properly and efficiently housing the collection using acid-free storage materials and recording location information into a central database.
Examples of other duties:
· Assist staff with exhibition planning.
· Assist staff with documenting off-site collections.
· Assist staff with processing new acquisitions and loans.
· Graduate degree candidate in Museum Studies, American Studies, History, Anthropology or similarly related field. Exceptional undergraduate Junior or Senior candidates will also be considered.
· Basic knowledge of standard museum curatorial practice
· Interest to pursue a career in the museum or archives fields
· Excellent written and oral communication skills and legible handwriting
· Detail oriented and ability to work independently
· Ability to lift 25lbs and climb ladders
· Excellent computer skills, including Microsoft Word and Excel; experience with database software. Experience with PastPerfect Museum Software is a plus.
· Valid driver’s license and transportation
· Multitasking and ability to prioritize project needs
Please send cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references to Valerie Seiber, Collections Manager, The Hershey Story, 63 W. Chocolate Avenue, Hershey, PA 17033; or email to email@example.com with “2014 Internship” in the subject line. Internships are for the summer 2014 semester and must be completed between June and
August 2014. Internships are unpaid but may be completed for college credit.
Applications must be received by April 1, 2014.