Friends of the Railroad Museum, Inc.
The Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania
The Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania is seeking a courteous, visitor-focused team member as we transition our world class collections-rich museum towards fuller utilization of its objects to reveal the fascinating stories from Pennsylvania’s vast railroad history to an ever growing audience of on-site and remote guests.
Located in beautiful Lancaster County, the museum hosts 100,000 guests annually. The facility is a popular family-friendly destination integrated into the region’s important cultural and heritage tourism. The museum is administered by the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission aided by the valuable assistance of the Friends of the Railroad Museum, Inc.
- Full-time (37.5 hours/week) schedule of Monday through Thursday and every-other weekend
- Position to be shared by Visitor Services and Archives Departments, with an emphasis on customer service
- Serves as Frontline Interpreter for museum’s indoor and outdoor rolling stock collection
- Answers research requests via telephone, email, and fax as well as assisting on-site researchers
- May be called upon to file, inventory, and catalog
- Applies archival principles consistently
- Capable of communicating with visitors of all ages, including pre-school children
- Able to deal directly with a diverse audience
- Guides walking tours as well as assignments to specific collection pieces
- Operates Point of Sale system, handles cash and credit card transactions
- Follows opening and closing procedures assisting with facility security and visitor and collection safety
- Works on team performing custodial duties (bathrooms & windows, etc.) and seasonal collections care
- Able to lift up to 30 lbs and climb ladders
- Demonstrates respect for historic artifacts
- Recent college (or soon to) graduate in American History, American Studies or related fields
- Customer service, retail and cash handling experience preferred
- Experience with youth or school groups an asset
- Demonstrated communication skills with ability to:
- Effectively communicate via public presentation, email, and telephone
- Attune to audience to find out their interest level
- Listen to supervisors/trainers to understand assignments
- 5. Selected candidates for interview will be sent further information to prepare
- Employment is with Friends of the Railroad Museum, Inc.
- Hourly rate of $13.88; and individual health insurance; vacation time
HOW TO APPLY
Please send cover letter (stating where you saw job posting) and résumé to Patrick Morrison The Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania P.O. Box 125 Strasburg, PA 17579-0125